“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable. We can never have enough of nature.”

Unexplorable

Exploring | Wandering | Collecting

Jökulsárlón: Iceland's Glacial Lagoon

By 03:58 ,

I'm going to come right out and say it - Iceland's glacial lagoon is one of the most beautiful, lonely and strange places I've been to in my life.  I instantly fell in love.



There aren't a whole lot of words to describe the feeling of being in this place - so I'll mostly leave it to pictures.  


The lagoon is the result of huge chunks of ice breaking off Breiðamerkurjökull - an arm of the huge glacier that dominates Iceland's centre.  








I had heard the area was home to plenty of seals, and after an hour wandering the rocky coastline, I began telling Nicholas that I'd really like to see one.

"Perhaps I'll call one," I said, and began letting out a seal-like wail.

Nicholas laughed, and we walked on for a few more metres - a few times I broke the silence telling "my selkie friends" to appear.  Not a minute had passed when one black head broke the surface of the water and gave us a stare, before nesting seabirds descended onto him and he disappeared again (you can spot my elusive little friend in the centre of the picture above).





The glacial lagoon is around 350km east of Reykjavik.  As you drive east, about 45 minutes past Skaftafell, you'll see small spots to drive in and park (there are 3 or 4).  Park here, clamour over the moraine and onto the beach.  If you arrive at the bridge you've come a little too far, but will find a black beach here on your right, where small icebergs are washed up and dot the beach like gems.

At Jökulsárlón you can take boat and amphibious tours through the water to get up and close to the glittering icebergs.  Alternatively, you can arrive at midnight - like we did - and have the entire desolate, dwarfing beach to yourselves.





You Might Also Like

0 comments