“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable. We can never have enough of nature.”

Unexplorable

Exploring | Wandering | Collecting

Midyear Review: Looking back on the last 6 months

By 04:15 ,


… and looking forward to the next 6!  So what’s shaped the first half of 2015 and what have I got in store for the rest of the year?



TURNING 21 [JANUARY]
With my university degree under my belt, I had my 21st birthday to look forward to!  I had two birthday parties to celebrate in January; a picnic in Melbourne and party in Brisbane, with My Love organising a lovely, big apartment in Brisbane and organising an HP Lovecraft-themed bash with my friends.


A COUPLE OF ART SHOWS [FEBRUARY]
Most of you probably don’t know that I’m a practicing artist.  In the aftermath of my graduation show, I was invited to participate in two group shows that showcased highlights from the Melbourne art school grad exhibitions.



GETTING ROSS RIVER FEVER [FEBRUARY]
On the weekend I head north to Brisbane for my birthday, I went away with a few mosquito bites and got hit with a pretty rough case of Ross River Fever.  Several visits to hospital in Melbourne, almost sure I was dying, and the doctors didn’t know what was wrong with me, because the virus isn’t seen in Victoria. Unfortunately, I’m still suffering some of its persistent symptoms!



BUYING A ONE WAY TICKET TO LONDON [MARCH]
In March, I embarked on my first overseas trip.  Not only was it the first time I left my homeland, I’d forgone a return ticket, and knew I’d be away from home until September (at least)!



ROADTRIPPING AROUND THE SCOTTISH HIGHLANDS [APRIL]
When it came to international travel, Scotland was first on my list to visit.  I don’t regret spending so long here (almost two months!) because I quickly fell in love with the rugged countryside, the people and spending cold nights sleeping in the wilderness.



ABANDONING PLANS ON ORKNEY [MAY]
Leaving the car on Mainland Orkney, literally running for last-minute ferries and hiking from one end of islands to the other – this is how we experienced Orkney.  We camped on the beach, made friends with seals under dazzling pink sunsets, and found a tracker that’d been attached to a basking shark in the USA.



BACKPACKING IN NORWAY [JUNE]
In Glasgow, I reorganized my plans, posted my suitcase home and bought a backpack.  I wanted the mobility that only a backpack and tent could give me.  I hiked around the Lofoten Islands, rode the legendary Hurtigruten and climbed mountains in the midnight sun.


SEEING WILD ORCA IN THE ARCTIC CIRCLE [JUNE]
There’s something about seeing animals in their natural environment that really takes your breath away.  Seeing them completely by chance is an extra thrill, an extra jolt of excitement.  Nicholas had stepped away from the car (for what we commonly refer to as a ‘scenic wee’) for only an instant before he was back, shouting ‘KILLER WHALES! CAMERA!’ This was one of the most enchanting moments of my life.



VISITING ICONIC LITERARY LOCATIONS
This might sound totally lame, but some of my favourite places have been those I’ve sought out for their literary significance.  The Elephant House café where JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter, the Beatrix Potter center in Perth, JM Barrie’s childhood home near Glamis, Hans Christian Andersen’s museum in Odense – I ticked a few off the list in the last few months! 



ARRIVING IN THE LAND OF FIRE AND ICE [JULY]
Last week, I arrived in Iceland – my new home for the next little while.  I’m completely enthralled by the landscape, the people… This really signifies the beginning of a new chapter for me. 

I’ve got a few big adventures on the horizon here.  Like I said, I’m an artist and Iceland is more than just a chance to explore a new country – I’m here on an artist residency.  I’m living in a commune with a handful of other artists for the next three months.

In two weeks, Nicholas will be saying goodbye and heading back to Australia for work, and I will be all alone in this vast, exciting new country.



In October, I’ll be beginning a trip back home – hopefully with a few stopovers on the way.  I’m thinking Bologna, Venice, Paris…


I’ve got a busy Christmas season with my lovely Lush team awaiting me after Halloween.  I’ve got a soft black cat with little white paws awaiting my return.  I’ve got future study options tempting me to stay in Melbourne a little longer.  I’ve got a intense desire to build myself a tiny house to live in.  I’ve also got a burning sense of wanderlust to satisfy, though…

You Might Also Like

0 comments