“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable. We can never have enough of nature.”

Unexplorable

Exploring | Wandering | Collecting

The Best Way to See Puffins in Scotland!

By 01:56 , , ,



On my recent adventure around Scotland, I decided that I needed to see some puffins.  Being from the great Land Down Under, we have lots of birds, but none quite like the clown of the sea.  To see puffins, you’ve really got to get off the mainland and onto the Hebrides, particularly the Treshnish Isles, which were all formed by a huge volcanic eruption. 



The largest breeding ground for puffins in Scotland is on a beautiful island called Lunga, which is a few hours by boat from Oban.  When your guide tells you that around 3000 puffins nest there, you don’t expect the place to be swarming with puffins.  You’d be wrong.

Puffins are curious little creatures, and not concerned by humans.  In fact, when humans are about, it generally means that their predators are scarce, so they are quite at ease around you.

To get to Lunga, you need to take a boat from Iona or from Mull.  The best way to do this – and to see Staffa, another of the fantastic Treshnish Isles – is to book a tour.  I went with Staffa Tours, who offered a round trip that took you from Oban to Mull, then from Mull to Lunga, then to Staffa, then to Iona before they took you back to Oban, via Mull.  It’s a long day, but it’s definitely worth it.


While the animal spotting depends hugely on the time of year you visit, Staffa Tours told us that you’re almost guaranteed to spot puffins between May and September.  I went at the very start of the season and feared I wouldn’t see any!  I was pleasantly surprised though, and it was a definite highlight of my trip to Scotland.

The other islands you visit are Staffa and Iona – which are worth a look too.  The Isle of Staffa is an amazing basalt island, with caves of columna basalt that you can walk into with relative ease – the individual columns work a bit like steps.  Iona is most commonly known as the birthplace of Christianity in Scotland, because St Columba landed there first, but its beaches can rival those of the most tropical islands.

I know I’ve got my parents convinced to give this one a go on their trip to Scotland in September!  Seeing the puffins up so close was really magical, and I hear that if you go later in the season, there are lots of seals around too!  I’m going to have to go back.


I’m hoping to make a trip out to ‘Puffin Island’ when I go to Iceland, too – I’m in love with these little birds.  Have you seen puffins?  Where did you see them?



You Might Also Like

0 comments