“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable. We can never have enough of nature.”

Unexplorable

Exploring | Wandering | Collecting

Are the Lofoten Islands the most beautiful part of Norway?

By 22:05 , ,


When I finally got to the Lofoten Islands, I’d already visited the UNESCO-listed Nærøyfjord, rode the famous FlÃ¥m railway, walked the streets of Bergen, cruised through Geirangerfjord and spent a few days exploring Sognefjord.  In short, I’d seen some of the most raved-about sites in Norway.  I didn’t think I could be any more in awe of Norway’s majestic landscape, but then I arrived in the Lofotens.

Title picture shows the view from the peak at Reinebringen, the mountain that overlooks Reine.

I was told to visit the Lofoten Islands when I was staying in and AirBnB in Oslo.  My host told me it was his favourite part of Norway, and I was open to suggestions.  I had my heart set on narrow fjords and trolls, though, so didn’t think too much of it.

The sky was misty the night the Hurtigruten approached the jagged, craggy mountains of the Lofotens and dropped me at Svolvær.  The ominous peaks peered out of the mist, looking grey and foreboding.  Considering this was my first foray into the Arctic Circle and I was camping, I felt more nervous than anything else.

Svolvær is probably the biggest town center in the Lofotens and this is where I was dropped by the Hurtigruten, picked up a hire car and set off down south to the idyllic villages of Ã… and Reine.  It wasn’t long before I was feeling incredibly grateful to have been sent on this little adventure.


The main islands are connected by bridges and tunnels, while two smaller islands are detached further south.  I didn’t get a chance to visit these, but found no shortage of things to do on the main islands.  There are plenty of museums and art galleries, a vast array of restaurants (where you will find delicacies like whale and seal on the menu - we skipped these, obviously) and numerous outdoor activities to busy yourself with.  It’s a prime viewing spot for the midnight sun in summer and the Aurora Borealis in winter – so you’re bound to have your eyes cast skyward no matter when you visit.

The rugged mountains appear to rise directly out of the blue-green sea and tower overhead.  Many are within reach if you fancy yourself a mountain climber, and offer short (but steep) paths up the tops, where you’ll find the most magnificent views on the islands.  For any outdoor pursuits, 68 North is an invaluable website, so get reading!

The view over Kvalvika Beach

If you’d like to try your luck fishing, the Lofotens are the place to go!  Norway’s generous access laws allow you to keep your catch, and you can take 15kg of filleted fish off the island with you. 

If you’re more like me, and you’d rather watch the sealife from afar, the Lofotens offer plenty of diving and snorkeling experiences – even at midnight!  I was lucky enough to see the vibrant midnight sun hanging above the horizon and can only imagine getting to snorkel under its rays.  This time, it was a bit out of my budget, but I still got to see the Lofoten Islands’ magnificent wildlife…

A pod of wild orca swimming past Reine


Spend enough time on the coast in spring and summer, and you might get lucky enough to see wild orca or puffins.  Orca breed in the waters nearby and come close to the coast with their babies to catch fish.  A few minutes before midnight, after a steep and exhausting climb up Reinebringa, Nick and I spotted a pod of five orca feeding off the coast at Reine.  It was amazing.

The camping on the Lofotens is easy pickings – there are a lot more flat spots than I managed to find on Norwegian mainland.  If you consider yourself an indoorsy type, the second-best way to experience the Lofotens is to check yourself into atraditional-style red Rorbu (fisherman’s hut) with free wifi and a balcony.

Rorbu in Ã…

Midnight sun on Kvalvika Beach

You’ll have the best luck travelling by car or by bike through the Lofotens.  You can walk, but the roads are narrow and the weather is quick to turn in the Arctic Circle, even in summer.  There’s also a bus that runs along the E10 – the main road that connects the islands – but it’s pricey and only runs a few times a day.  I rented a car through Rent a Car Lofoten in Svolvær and managed to get a competitive price.  If you intend to hire a car, book well in advance, because most places will charge more if they’re running low on cars!

Want more of the majestic Lofotens? I made a short video documenting our time there.


Note: The Lofoten Islands pride themselves on having the largest traditional cod drying set up.  They advertise it on postcards and in the tourist books – it’s everywhere! If you’re not a fan of seeing (literally millions) of dead cod strung up to wooden poles, plan your visit between July and February.

You Might Also Like

0 comments