“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable. We can never have enough of nature.”

Unexplorable

Exploring | Wandering | Collecting

The best way to see a glacier in Norway [review]

By 07:31 , ,


Norway is home to the largest glacier in mainland Europe (Iceland takes the cake for the entirety of Europe, and I think Antarctica might have dibs on the title of World’s Largest Glacier).  Jostedalsbreen is a huge glacial icecap with over 20 legs that stretch off it, some more accessible than others.  Depending on the time of year you visit, you can get up close to several of these amazing natural wonders, with June-September offering the most options.


When I visited Norway in June, I decided that hiking on a glacier was a must-do, even if it blew my budget a little bit and meant an extra few nights in a tent.  Because I was so early in the season, the possibilities were a bit limited, and I found myself on Nigardsbreen, which is a far more accessible glacier.  In high summer, this glacier can become absolutely swarmed with tourists (our guide said around 2000 a day sometimes!) so the company I went with avoid Nigardsbreen after June. 


This is a 'moulin' - if you're game enough, IceTroll can arrange for you to abseil down one of these!

 Speaking of, the company I opted for were IceTroll.  There are a few big companies that offer guided walks on the glaciers, but Ice Troll offered a short kayak in the glacial lake before the climb, so I went with them.  In the end, I was really glad I did.


My guide was a man named Sam, who knew the glacier almost back to front – even though the landscape changed on a daily basis.  I wasn’t as confident on the ice or on some of the slippery rocks we had to hop over, but he was very patient and helpful.  He was extremely attentive to the needs of our group and was happy to have a chat.  Most of all, he made you feel at ease on a very dangerous terrain.





As for glacial hiking itself, don’t try your luck and go solo or with a buddy, even if you’re a confident hiker.  These crevasses run deep, and the guides know the warning signs of a snow bridge or a Moulin forming!

Some legs of the glacier you can even see from the car in Norway, but they certainly don’t compare to walking over the ice and leaping over the crevasses.  The day I had on the glacier with IceTroll was the best day of my entire Norway adventure, and I’m so grateful they made it so seamless and comfortable.   I’m hoping to come back and try out some ice climbing or abseiling in a moulin with them next time I’m in Norway!




Prices range from 750-950NOK for day trips and are a bargain for the experience you’ll have!  In summer, a bus runs from Sogndal to the IceTroll meeting place (Breheimsenteret), otherwise you’ll need a car to get there. 


Read a wordier, more picture-heavy account of my glacier hike here.
Follow me on Bloglovin'


You Might Also Like

0 comments